MARTINOS CENTER SUMMER SYMPOSIUM
On behalf of the Women in Science (WiS) and the Martinos Center Summer Internship (MCSI), we would like to invite you all to the first annual Martinos Center Summer Symposium to take place August 13th, 2021, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. The symposium will host two keynote talks, lightning talks, MCSI intern poster presentations and a poster presentation session for all trainees at the Center.
With this symposium, WiS aims to showcase the center’s diverse, cutting-edge research. We encourage researchers who identify as underrepresented in STEM to apply and share their work. We also hope that through this event we can foster a sense of community during this COVID-19 era.
10:00am – 11:35am: Plenary Session (zoom link)
Moderator: Dr Edmarie Guzman-Velez & Dr Caroline Magnain
- 10:00 am – 10:30 am: Pr. Bruce Rosen, Martinos Center keynote speaker
- 10:30 am – 11:00 am: Dr. Susie Huang, Women in Science keynote speaker
- 11:05 am – 11:35 am: 3 lightning talks presented by WiS members
- Erendira Garcia Pallares, research technician in the Laboratories for Computational Neuroimaging, “Ex vivo imaging and analysis of the human brain”
- Katharina Hoebel, graduate student in the Quantitative Translational Imaging in Medicine Lab, “Give me (un)certainty – Segmentation uncertainty in medical image analysis”
- Dr. Mary Catanese, postdoctoral fellow in the Hooker Research Group, “Investigating neuroepigenetic signatures in Multiple sclerosis using [11C]Martinostat”
11:45am – 1:15pm: Poster Session
The poster sessions will be held via zoom. Each poster will be in its own breakout room
- Join the poster session zoom link.
- Click on breakout rooms button.
- The breakout rooms are named same as the poster ID (first column).
- Click join on the poster breakout room you want to join.
- Click leave breakout room to leave the room.
Important Note: Please update your zoom version to the latest one. Feature where the participants can choose the breakout room that they want to join is only available in the newer versions. If you do not have this feature, then you will have to request the moderator to assign you to the room that you want to join.
11:45am – 12:15pm: High school poster session (zoom link)
12:15pm – 1:15pm: Other Martinos Trainees poster session (zoom link)
Here is the list of the posters that are only available on the PDF that we send you if you register to the event.
1:45pm – 2:00pm: Poster winners announcement & closing remarks (zoom link)
Moderator: Dr Divya Varadarajan & Dr Cecilia Hinojosa
- Submit an abstract (up to 500 words) – Closed
- Upload your poster – Aug 6th, 2021: Closed
- Present your poster – Aug 13th, 2021
- Register to attend the symposium – Aug 13th, 2021: Register here
You can find the list of all the abstracts here.
Poster presentation instructions (Aug 13th):
- Posters will be presented on zoom. You will be allocated a breakout room that people can join to discuss the poster with you.
- We will send you the zoom link to join one day prior to the symposium (Aug 12th)
- Poster presentation session is planned for Aug 13th from 12:15 pm – 1:15 pm.
- You can choose to present the same pdf that you submitted or present new slides.
- If you choose to create slides, then we recommend a maximum of 5 slides (e.g., 1 – Introduction. 2 – Method, 3,4 – Results, and 5 – Discussion + Conclusion).
- If you have signed up for the poster competition, then up to 2 judges will be visiting your poster during your session. Please make sure to remain in your breakout room for the entire duration (12:15 pm – 1:15 pm).
- Please be available on email from 1:15 pm – 1:45 pm.
- We will announce the winners during concluding remarks between 1:45 pm – 2:00 pm.
- Please register here if you want to attend the symposium and receive the zoom links: https://forms.gle/MojZbqUV5rCq7yyX7
- All presenters must register.
- High school interns (MCSI and other interns) do not need to register here.
- Please register by Aug 11th. We plan to send the links out on Aug 12th.