The Martinos WiS Travel Awards honor Women in Science (WiS) committee members, past and current, who have demonstrated commitment and have made significant contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in the Martinos community at MGH. The goal of this award is to promote career advancement of early-stage WiS committee members by supporting travel and participation in academic conferences, educational seminars, and workshops related to their fields.
The 2022 Fall RFA is OPEN. Apply by the due date through REDCap.
- Application Deadline: Wednesday February 15th, 2023, 11:59 pm EST
- Award Announcement: March 2023
- Travel Dates: April 1 – Sep 30, 2023
- The Martinos WiS Travel Awards provide funding to support travel to an academic/society meeting, educational seminar and/or workshop that are directly related to the applicant’s academic advancement.
- The applicant must have plans to attend a professional meeting or event within the timeframe stated in the official Request for Applications (RFA).
- Candidates may not receive support for an event that has already occurred.
- To ensure full consideration for the award, the online application must be completed in its entirety, including:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Statement (1-page max): Describe why DEI is important to the applicant, and how the applicant has contributed to the mission of WiS by being a committee member. Candidates may have accomplished such efforts across WiS activities, including organizing WiS events, engaging in weekly committee meetings, taking internship program responsibilities, managing social media, curating resources related to the WiS mission, or contributing to other initiatives.
- Travel Justification (1-page max): Describe the event planned to attend, what resources are available to supplement travel cost (if applicable), and how attending this event can further the applicant’s career development.
- These awards are specifically allocated to the conference or event stated on your application, and may not be transferred to another event.
Document Formatting Requirements:
- Must be uploaded in PDF format.
- Font size: Must be 11 points or larger.
- Line spacing: No more than six lines of type within a vertical inch.
- Page Size: No larger than 8.5 inches x 11.0 inches.
- Margins: at least 0.5 inch in all directions.
Please note: only completed applications satisfying the formatting requirements will be considered.
- The applicant must be an active committee member, past or current, of the Martinos WiS at the time of award application. An active WiS committee member is someone who is or has been involved in WiS in one or more of the following activities: attend weekly WiS committee meetings, organize WiS events, manage social media, assist WiS operation (e.g., accounting, website maintenance), etc.
- The applicant must be a postdoctoral or clinical fellow, research assistant, clinical research coordinator, PhD student, or other non-faculty trainee at the time of award application and at the time of the event they plan to attend. In addition, the applicant’s Principal Investigator must be a member of the MGB faculty.
- Trip must be an academic/society professional meeting, educational seminar, and/or workshop for the purpose of advancing the applicant’s career (e.g., presenting at an academic/society meeting [abstract/paper/poster] or receiving a society award/honor or attending an educational workshop/seminar in a related field).
- Applicants can only receive the Martinos WiS Travel Awards once every 12 months.
- Awards may be used for the following expenses:
- Conference registration and membership fees.
- Travel and transportation expenses to and from the selected event.
- Hotel and/or other accommodation within the allowable amount by MGB policy.
- Expenses for meals (excluding alcohol) during the event within the allowable amount by MGB policy.
- Reasonable expenses for presentation materials, e.g., printing cost for posters and business cards.
- Awards may not be used for the following expenses:
- Personal travel expenses not related to the selected meeting.
- Expenses other than those listed above.
- Under Mass General Brigham’s policy, to receive reimbursement, the awardee must provide original receipts and/or invoices and must attest that these expenses were used in accordance with the above guidelines.
- Amount of payment will not exceed $1,000 of incurred expenses.
- Forms and documentation of expenses must be submitted within 30 days of the travel return date.
If you have any questions, please contact us at WiS_MGHMartinos@partners.org